I know there are a thousand crown patterns out there, but I didn’t find the exact one I needed on a Ravelry search, so I made up my own.
This crown is worked sideways on.
First, measure around the kid’s head at the widest point. [My two have enormous heads for wee ones: 21 inches (53 cm)]. You’ll need to make the crown approximately 2 inches (5 cm) shorter than your measurement so that the FO sits on snugly, but not too tight.
- Height of crown: 1.25in/3cm to 2in/5cm at point
- Width each repeat: 2in/5cm
- Yarn: Rico Essentials Merino (DK; 100% wool; 120m/50g ball) in shade #65 (yellow)
- Needles: 4mm
- Buttons; one for each point. Sample used 9.
- Abbreviations are given below the pattern text
Cast on 7 sts.
Row 1 (WS): Purl.
Rows 2,4,6,8 and 10 (RS): K to last st, M1, K1. 1 st inc each time; 12 sts after Row 10
Row 3 and all WS rows to Row 19: Knit.
Rows 12,14,16,18 and 20: K to last 2 sts, K2tog. 1 st dec each time; 7 sts after Row 20
After Row 20, start again at Row 1 and repeat until the crown is long enough to go around your child’s head. I did 9 repeats and mine ended up being about 18in long, which was perfect for the Kings junior!
Then just sew up the ends and add some buttons or beads.
Abbreviations (given in order used)
- WS – Wrong side
- RS – Right side
- K – Knit
- st – Stitch
- M1 – Make 1 (use whichever method you prefer)
- inc – Increase(d)
- K2tog – Knit 2 together
- dec – Decrease(d)